Zooming With Pawoo.net New Owner (Suji Yan)
- Suji Yan gained ownership of Mastodon.cloud & MSTDN.jp after the previous owners could no longer financially support both sites, respectively (no money was exchanged & Suji Yan assumed all liabilities)
- Pawoo was previously owned by a corporation who half heartedly tried to monetize the site in order to cover server costs which were between $20,000 & $50,000 a month (this includes overhead like hiring administrators, moderators, lawyers, etcetera) See update below
- Update: Pawoo was started by @firstname.lastname@example.org (Pixiv), a sub company of Animate. (Russel) obtained ownership later on, & Russel transferred ownership to Suji Yan’s shell company, The Social Coop Limited
- The Japanese Police were not thrilled by Pawoo being acquired, & briefly investigated the new owner
- The cost of the instances so far (which include overhead) is between $1 million & $2 million over two years. A large chunk of that cost (excluding overhead) is due to hosting upon Amazon
- Suji Yan is into crypto (which I know many people are skeptical towards), but for better or worse the position he is in has allowed him to cover the server fees of the three Mastodon Instances
- Not mentioned in the video summary, but Suji Yan apparently did have a role in helping with the Mastodon iOS app
- Encryption for private messaging needs to be a priority for Mastodon
That is it! I will link to the Zoom video later one when it becomes available. For those interested here is my prior post about Mask Network (which Suji Yan owns) about Pawoo being purchased.
Update: You can watch or download the Zoom video here.